Facade remodel at our house

This post is about our gable make-over, but I feel like Cindarella dancing around with birds and mice and shit. I have three nights of sleep under my belt, and a solid plan to help me stay on this path. I feel like doing air pistols, but of course I can't because of the cartoon birds all in my grill.

Before:


Last year when we had our kitchen done, we also asked Scott, our awesome contractor to look at our gable. We had asbestos siding up there! A bitch to move and dispose of, but since we had so little of it, we just paid for it, and moved on. This is one of those classic stories of starting a remodel and ending up going whole hog, and it was expensive. Well, not expensive, but I had not budgeted for it. We were only going to fix the trim, and Scott built the new grill, and that white area under the top bracket (no idea what actual terminology is), and we designed that exaggerated dentil moulding business together too. Anyway, he was looking at it, and was all: Michelle, you need to change the siding, it isn't fair to all the new trim. So we chose cedar b/c I couldn't decide what color it should be.

I stripped and painted that window myself. Never again! All of the siding had to be stripped and re-painted. We hired someone for that job.

When it was all done, we had our painter come and do the trim up nice and bright, and the porch, and the masonry. I hated that burgandy so damn much, but really I love that green more than anything! I think it would look amazing with black and white tulips against it, but I digress.

After: 

We still have the old fan, and old door in this image.


I changed the fan since then, and the plants have gone gangbusters. See below. 






Nice detail of the work Scott did. I heart dentil moulding so much, but we couldn't find anything with the right proportions, so he just build this.


 Now, our porch needs to be re-painted, so don't look at it too hard. We also need a new welcome matt, and O needs to take down the intercom thingy he bought wich totally doesn't work and I am still annoyed about it! Anyone else have a tech-geek husband who wants to rig up your house with cameras and gadgets? Sigh.


I have purchased a rosemary to replace that ill-advised butterfly bush on the right, but I have not actually done it yet.

Remember when we went to Spain, and I fell in love with the gardens at the Alcazar?  Well, that was totally the inspiration for the balls.

Chairs that my dad made.
I changed the door. Just want to Lowes and said, I need a sold wooden entry door, no shenanigans  I bought the least expensive one, is it Fir I wanna say? It looked yellow, so I stained it black, and then wiped it off so the yellow sort of shows through, so it has a dark green look. I bought new entry hardware b/c the crappy one we had before made me scrape my knuckles all the time, plus it was all curvy and stupid looking.


Next we installed security storm doors. They have great UV protection, and we are west facing, so that is important, plus we like having two doors. Our front door opens into the living area, no buffer, and that kind of energy isn't restful. I choose a home on a hill, so you don't see the road from the door, plus we live on a dead end, extra wide road. We have almost not traffic, and pedestrians feel far away too. I like to feel like I am in a little next in my home, an apartment is really the perfect living situation for me, especially if it has roof space, but again, I digress.



I am hiding the huge outdoor electrical socket with this flat, tall planter. I think its really pretty. The other terracotta one I had was enormous.

Comments

  1. As a renter, I can say I am totally envious of your ability to make something reflect your taste. The dentil molding? Insanely good. I love it, really, really love it. I bet Ed/Sanford/Raw Dawg does, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your neighbors must love you! I'm looking for a new porch light, may I ask where you got yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keri, sure! Its from Restoration Hardware. I wanted to buy a really cool one, but I got lazy. Quite the norm around here.
      http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1509142&cm_ps=modal_add_to_cart-_-none-_-other_items_you_may_like&categoryId=cat1701024

      I wish they had the variety there then that they do now! SO many!

      Delete
    2. for Resto, that sconce is surprisingly affordable! I wouldn't have even looked there because so many of their lights are crazy expensive. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  3. You have set an example of how to stylishly update a classic, lovely. Love the stained door...and those stone balls. Classic but cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, coming from you that is a great compliment!

      Delete
  4. Such a wonderful contemporary yet classic update of your cottage! I thought I was the only one insanely in love with dentil moulding. Had it on my last little house and it just adds the right amount of stylish oomph! Totally enjoying these remodel posts by the way. Getting lots of ideas for our post-rental life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Dentil moulding is the balls. I wish that our house didn't have any moulding, b/c I would have dentil the eff out of that place, but alas, it was moulded up already, so next house! Yay!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Beautiful.. I love the balls.
    I want to see your kitchen remodel pics!
    I love the look.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Here you go: http://armasdesign.blogspot.com/2011/05/kitchen-done.html

      Delete
  6. Girl, your cedar shakes are giving me the shivers. In a JEALOUS way!!! I love them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The balls are awesome.
    (and btw, thanks for visiting me).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flipping awesome door! Those chairs your dad made are amazing! It's pretty awesome what a difference a few cedar shakes can make, isn't it? You have done an amazing job on this place. And I am so super impressed that you did the trim up right by actually scraping it before painting it. Bravo. Shit like that can drive a painter crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the cedar shakes and your door, it all looks so fabulous! You're making me want to hit the outside of my house in a big way, it needs some more TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very lovely house. This reminds me of the home improvement that I need to get working on! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Yay! Your gonna reach out to me! I am so excited. I have tried to make commenting here easy for both of us. So please try your hardest to read the squiggly letters so I can chat with you.

Popular Posts