Kitchen DONE!


...well almost. Went with a fireclay farmhouse sink, as you can see (my folks are re-doing their kitchen so they bought the double bowl apron stainless number from us, I am kinda jealous.) Faucet is now discontinued, it is surprisingly hard to buy a bridge faucet that doesn't have a goose neck, and doesn't cost more than the whole kitchen. Still looking for receptacle covers that don't suck, and still need to paint under the cabinet where the lights are. Note: This is the one place I wish I had paid more attention when my contractor was working on cutting out the sink area. I wanted the counter to be flush with the edge of the sink, when I saw that he made it wider, my heart kind of sunk. I still wish I had been more clear, but after it was done, there was no point in making a big fuss. I still love it.



Tile is from waterworks, grout is called oyster grey, counter tops got three coats of satin Waterlox (go with the best man, the best.) I sealed this baby with one hand, as we put in the counter tops about two hours before I stabbed myself, and I was so impatient to have my kitchen back, that I spent hours doing it with one hand. Walls and cabinet are Grant Beige by Benjamin Moore, as you can see we still have some touching up to do, whew, will do that later dude. Shout out to Katie at H2 Design and Build! She is a client turned buddy, and she recommended the Grove Tile, and helped me get them. I love them Katie, you are the best! 


Here you can see how my contractor did the corner, I especially like how it turned out. I wish I would have thought to ask the tile guy to use white grout in the corner. Learn from my mistakes. I still have to change those black plug covers.

This view is what sustained me for those three long months. I knew I would lay back on my sofa with a view of the sweet new kitchen...aahhhhh. You can see we are using bed pillows on the sofa. Covers from Les Indiennes and John Robshaw. You also get a great view of the pendant in the kitchen here, I love how it looks. Note: The cabinets and walls are the same color, but the cabinets are covered in oil paint (thinned with penetrol). The color is very different due to the way the pigments bond with the oil. Coooool.


Here is a close-er up. There are already dead flies in it though, hmmm, didn't think of that. Note: You can also see the open cabinet, boy is there a story there. We bought cabinets that were supposed to be the same as the ones we have, they arrived, but they were the wrong ones. Back they went. A few weeks later the new ones came, but the doors were different! They covered up the whole front instead of having a two inch space like my original doors. Hmmmm, what to do. Make it an open cabinet, contractor put in bead board on the back to make it look intentional, and built in a permanent shelf out of wood so it could be painted. I love the final result, although again, I have not styled it at all, that is exactly how it has looked since the painting was finished.


Moved a bunch of stuff around in the dining room, so we could have a lounging nook with books, and let the server breath a little, I love my server, it needs some accessories. 
 

Painting on the wall is a commission that is drying, sofa is great...why didn't I take better photos of it? Sorry. Sofa is the Cynthia from MGBW.


Chairs are temporary, I just wanted to see what it was going to be like space wise when I do add chairs there...something kooky, can't wait to start looking for them. Nothing is styled, (we have king sized pillows on the sofa for something to lay on) and everything is changing, naturally. However, big FAT sigh. Done! Fuck Yeah! I need to just rest for a while before I start taking this room to the next level.

Painter: William Greer, 678.886.3267
Contractor: Scott Waldrop, 404.831.4778
Tile: Shawn Coleman 404.429.5396

Next: Exterior reno of the gable, images to come later this week.

Comments

  1. Eeeek, I love it all! I haven't been able to stop thinking about that gorgeous cabinet color and finish and the amazing hardware you chose since my first official, formal introduction to your beautiful new kitchen. It looks fabulous in the pictures, but even more so in real life. And your new sofa is such a great addition to the warm and inviting vibe in the dining room. Love it all!
    I hope you enjoy every square inch of the renovation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous,

    congratulations, it turned out beautiful. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 24, 2011

    Your new kitchen is just great - I love the open shelf, the tiles and the color! I also really like the color of your dining room.... are those leather chairs at your table?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, it looks fabulous! I love those tiles. And the light is beautiful. It all turned out amazing. Bravo.
    Do you read Jane's blog, Ill Seen Ill Said? She has one of your paintings featured right now. You should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the whole thing is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! i know you waited forever...you inspire me lady!
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 24, 2011

    LOVE the kitchen! Cabinet color is perfection & the countertops & the brass details...DIE!!! Where are the brass hardware & the countertop from? Please give me the details! geliz01

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting how the cabinet color came out different than the wall color because of the oil paint.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The kitchen looks great!! Truly. I guess it's a job well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks FANTASTIC!!!! DREAM KITCHEN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousMay 25, 2011

    So gorgeous!! I'm in a one bedroom apartment with a crappy kitchen, so I'm going to live vicariously through you're FANTASTIC kitchen reno. So jealous. It turned out really pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousMay 25, 2011

    Seriously turned out beautifully - I dream of a kitchen like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every thing is perfection! Love everyone and detail. Your home is lovely - enjoy the fruits of your labor, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Didn't proof read that comment - meant to say..."love every detail!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, it is perfectly gorgeous. I just LOVE the cabinet color, the sheen. But especially the hardware. Best ever. All your choices are just exquisite, Michelle. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow- that's really a nice place. I love that it's you and not a cookie-cutter of every other new kitchen out there. Really-REALLY like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so lovely! You've really played up the space well. I like the different textures.


    gilead in bloom

    ReplyDelete
  17. Duuuuuude, this rocks my world! There are SO many deets I'm obsessed with, including the hardware on your cabinets. Looooove it, love it all (singing)! You did all the right things, you one-handed wonder, you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your new kitchen - for me it is a great mix of the contemrorary and traditional design.
    Also love to see your home - minimal but with the odd splash of colour here and there for example the cushions.
    Your painting fits in so well too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful from top to bottom. especially enjoying the sink and subway tiles...two of my dream kitchen elements!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats! The kitchen looks so clean and stylish. It came out well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just found your blog.LOVE! Would you mind sharing the perfect kitchen paint color?

    ReplyDelete
  22. AnonymousJune 26, 2011

    I'm updating my kitchen, not a total gut job, and I had already decided on a wood countertop (we already re-did the island in carrara)and also I'd been thinking the white subway tiles with a non-white grout, like you did. My question is - is the wood countertop from Ikea? That's the only place around me (DC) that I can seem to find it. Any advice for installation? (I'm not doing it myself.) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anon, my counters are from Lumber Liquidators, b/c we needed one piec 12 ft. long, and Ikea doesn't have that, plus these are 1.5 inches deep, very nice. My contractor did this for me, I will tell you these cherry counter tops are VERY hard, so hard they went through two saw blades just to install one piece. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting article and statistics you have gathered here. Yes, I agree that digital technology HAS taken over the postproduction world. But I really do not see anything wrong about that ;) In fact, I kind of like it! It's a new way of presenting!
    modern floor lamp

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your kitchen is a rock star....love everything about it.....

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks amazing....love your kitchen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Been debating grant beige for my cabinet color and was unable to find where someone did it. Your post was a huge help. My kitchen is a bit different (I have honed black granite countertops), but I love how the color turned out. It totally made the decision for me. The painter is scheduled for next week! thanks for this post. M.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just stumbled across your blog researching grout colors and all I can say I's WOW!!! Beautiful kitchen, love everything!! Would you be able to tell me how thick your grout line is? Is it 1/16?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Yay! Your gonna reach out to me! I am so excited. I have tried to make commenting here easy for both of us. So please try your hardest to read the squiggly letters so I can chat with you.

Popular Posts